It’s an age old story and here’s how it usually goes:
- Team starts building awesome product
- Manager sets deadline and tells the world
- Team doesn’t want to disappoint manager and starts rushing
- Product isn’t ready and launches anyways
- Customers are disappointed, managers are disappointed, team is disappointed
Mobile Me, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 8, the entire Internet Explorer line, the BlackBerry Torch…all these products (and many more) were rushed out the door and either took months to fix in the wild or never quite hit their mark.
When Bart and I started SIDEKICK we vowed that while we would push and “Just Ship It!” as much as we could, we would never launch a half-assed or untested version of our product.
So with that, I’m sure you see where this is going.
Despite an absolutely heroic effort on the part of our team (Kyle White, Kyle Newsome, Raven Avalon, Mario Dabek and Jeff Lam), our new architecture, SIDEKICK Composer, the new version of sidekick.pro and our account centre will not be launching this weekend at WordCamp Toronto as promised.
Instead, we will have live demos setup for attendees and on Tuesday we will regroup and recommit to a new timeline.
I want to be clear here that while this is a short-term failure, we’re not taking pride in this and we will be back on track. The new SIDEKICK Composer will ship very soon and it is and will be awesome! We just need more time to test before we ask you for your hard earned money and trust.
I’ll try answer a few questions below in anticipation of what you may want to know but if you have any others, please don’t hesitate to leave us a comment or email email@example.com
- What exactly isn’t ready?
A little bit of everything really. The new architecture which is going to power SIDEKICK Composer and the new version of our Player is kick-ass and working but the integration between it, the new account centre, the billing system and Composer itself is still “fragile”. Add to that the fact that the new version of our website, which is necessary to power the front-end of the new Account Centre, isn’t complete yet and we have a recipe for launch disaster.
- What is the new launch date?
Short answer, we don’t know yet. It won’t be too far off but it’s Friday night going into our local WordCamp weekend. We’re going to get through this weekend and have a new date by end of day Tuesday.
- Why isn’t everything ready? Didn’t you see this coming?There’s no easy answer to this. I think we simply convinced ourselves we could do it and didn’t want to admit otherwise. The truth is that we bit off a lot here and probably shouldn’t have committed as we did. It’s been a really eye-opening experience the last 2 months and I know we’ll have lots to share about how we’re going to revamp our processes and timelines in the new year.
- Is there anything I can do to help?
Wow, that’s very nice of you. Keep spreading the word about sidekick.pro. Keep telling us what you want to use our system for and keep asking questions. We got into this because people told us they needed a system like SIDEKICK and we won’t be happy until we deliver.
- On a scale from 1 to 10, how much does writing this blog post suck?
12. Probably the hardest post I’ve ever had to write.
But I would add that as hard as this is, the hardest part is disappointing you, our boosters and customers. Thank you for your continued support!
Until next time.